Baseball Card Sets (By Season)
1973 Baseball Cards
- Dynasty Developing: With three 20-game winners, A’s repeat in 7-game Series over Mets
- Star Power: MVPs Reggie Jackson, Pete Rose; Cy Youngs Jim Palmer, Tom Seaver
- Epic performances: Stargell, Aaron, Bonds, Ryan, and 13 20-game winners in first year of DH
The first year of the designated hitter in the American League would have been enough to make 1973 historic. A seven-game World Series following two full-length league championship series would have been enough to make 1973 memorable. So much more:
- Oakland’s Catfish Hunter, Ken Holtzman and Vida Blue all won at least 20 and MVP Reggie Jackson led the AL in HR and RBI (.293-32-117) while winning the second of three straight World Series
- Nolan Ryan threw two no-hitters and struck out a record 383 while winning 21
- John Hiller set a record with 38 saves
- Pittsburgh’s Willie Stargell led the majors with 44 HR; Atlanta had three 40-HR men: Hank Aaron (who pulled within one of Babe Ruth’s career total), Darrell Evans and Davey Johnson.
- San Francisco’s Bobby Bonds just missed being the first 40-40 man with 39 HR, 43 SB
- SF’ Ron Bryant and the White Sox’ Wilbur Wood led 13 20-game winners with 24 each. Wood also lost 20.
27 cards per team … Two-sided cards for basic, advanced and super-advanced play